Hack the Mainframe – or the importance of presentation

The night I bought Hack the Mainframe’s debut EP Trapped Online I also purchased another EP by a support band. The difference between the two records was worlds apart. 

The support band (whose name I have honestly forgotten) had burnt some CDs on their computer and put a sticker on the disc (which went over the edges and made it difficult to play), the artwork was printed on a home printer that I suspect was running low on ink. The sound quality was jarring, and the mixing felt like it was randomised.

When I buy a record or merch at a gig I feel I am contributing directly to the band. I like to think that that this EP will help the band drive back to Newcastle. This shirt will help finance their next recording. Quid pro quo, I am not a charity. I expect that the album be decent enough judging from their live show. I know it was only five bucks, but I felt mugged.

By comparison, Hack the Mainframe’s EP was presented in a digipack, the disc was professionally printed with matt artwork to contrast the disc shine, and the sound of the disc illustrated that they were mixed by someone who was a master of their craft. You can guess which one I was listening to on the way home.


Just because it is punk, doesn't mean it has to be unprofessional.

This is not an assault on DIY. A fair chunk of Trapped Online was recorded in Heath's (vocalist) lounge room and it sounds crystal clear. The Foo Fighter’s Wasting Light was recorded in Dave Grohl’s garage. This is more of a commentary on professional standards in the local music scenes. I am a supporter of the punk ethos of doing things yourself. However if you should choose to do something yourself, do it competently and to a professional standard.

If you want me (the punter) to take your band seriously, the first step is to take your own band seriously.

The first track in, and my tail was wagging. A sign of a catchy song is that by the second chorus you are singing along. The first time I heard Trapped Online I was belting out every word by the end of the song. The second time I listened to the album I paid attention to the lyrics. I took interest in the social commentary and was brought into their world.

At the end of five tracks, I wanted more. I feel hungry, like I've had a bite of an exquisite meal and am waiting for the next course to arrive.

I will be looking forward to the next release by these Novocastrians, and I'll remember their name.

Hack the Mainframe – Trapped Online (Independent, 2016)

1.       Trapped Online
2.       No Escape
3.       Cause for Alarm
4.       May St
5.       Leroy’s on a Bender
13:37

Heath Rowley – Vocals
Nick Oberg – Guitar, backing vocals
Patrick Dempsey – Bass
Leroy Maxwell –Guitar
Zac Thomas – Drums

Heath Rowley – Producer
Michael Ferfoglia – Mixing
Matt Taylor - Mastering
Margot Knowles – Artwork






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 100 Albums of the 00s, Part 1: Australian/NZ

Welcome to Scouty's Blog... Page.. Thing

Top 100 Albums of the 00s, Part 2: The rest of the World